[Rhodes22-list] Berkeley East?

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 09:32:17 EST 2008

Rummy,

I'm running a bit short on time but I've got just enough time to answer your
question, YES!  Bush 43 spoke with both Blanco and Nagin two days in advance
and explained that his advisers strongly suggested evacuating NOLA.  NOLA
had a plan on the shelf, a plan sponsored and paid for with federal funds
and tested a year prior.  It remained on the shelf.  After the levees
failed, our armed forces were all over NOLA because they were poised for
just such an event.  The massive movement of temporary housing to the Gulf
area immediately after Katrina was a sight to behold.  I-57 and I-55 was
clogged with RVs being towed South.  The National Guard was everywhere
maintaining civil order (as opposed to now - NOLA has had 21 murders since
Jan 1 and this is only Feb 9).  The collection of "big yellow equipment" to
clear roads, organized and paid for by the federal government, was the
single largest collection of construction equipment I've ever witnessed or
probably ever will again.  Given the size and scope of the event, I think
the feds did the best anyone could ask for under the circumstances.  The
NOLA local government completely broke down, before, during, and after
Katrina.  Over on the Mississippi side (where Katrina actually hit), the
state and local governments performed admirably.  Here's the bottom line
Rummy - if you live on a coastal area, 6 feet below sea level, and a CAT 5
hurricane is bearing down on you, you get the hell out of town.  Katrina did
NOLA a favor by convincing all sane and rational people to evacuate on their
own.  The levee system was a disaster waiting to happen after 100 years of
poor engineering and local corruption.  Had they failed while the city was
fully populated the death toll would have been in the tens of thousands.

I'll be happy to argue this issue to your hearts content when I have time.
You will lose.  Better yet, come visit me on the coast and I'll give you a
tour.  One look around is worth more than a thousand newspapers.

Brad