[Rhodes22-list] Academics - another view

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Thu Feb 14 12:19:43 EST 2008

Robert,

You're missing a link in the chain. Yes, you're 100% right on it going
"where the bucks are"; however, it's the (typically) liberal agenda of
"education for all" that brings in those bucks that are combined with
poor self-motivation or initiative.

In "the old days", you basically had two types of people going to
college - those that had wealthy parents, and those that worked they way
through on their own. Obviously, there would be a percentage of those in
the former group that weren't particularly motivated to do what needed
to be done. It wasn't their money, so it didn't matter.

On the other hand, the poor slob that ate peanut butter sandwiches 6
days a week, and "splurged" on Spam once a week, so he could work his
way through school, understood the cost, and was more likely to do what
needed to be done.

As we made the financial burden easier (or in some cases, non-existant),
we added to the pool of those that were going on someone else's dime.

And this is a capitalistic society. The colleges are going to adjust for
that shift, and make courses easier.

In other words, as PI (Politically INcorrect) as it may sound, there's
something to be said for elitism.

And, as we further dilute what it means to have a "college education",
it will become of lesser and lesser value.

--
Herb Parsons
S/V O'Jure - O'Day 25