[Rhodes22-list] Academics - another view

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 21:11:37 EST 2008

Jim,

Like you, I paid for an undergrad degree from my own resources (grad school
was on my employer's nickel) which required eight years of work and study
for a four year degree.  Flight training was an additional burden.  When my
oldest son went off to college I was well established financially and gave
him a "full ride" which he managed to milk for five and a half years before
graduating.  He's now back in college pursuing a second degree on his dime.
My youngest was undecided on his major, not unusual for an incoming
Freshman, and decided early on to major in partying.  That lasted for one
semester and I cut off his funding, one of the most difficult things I've
ever had to do as a parent.  After a year of washing dishes (literally) he
decided that living without an education or job skills wasn't any fun so he
joined the Coast Guard.  Every time his boat deploys they have a college
instructor on board and with a combination of work and study, he should
finish his degree at about the age his father did, 26.  I'm not sure which
of the two boys is the luckiest.

Not only have we established a higher education entitlement system that
rewards some and punishes others based on color and ethnicity, we have in
fact dumbed the system down so no adult-child is left behind with the right
combination of victimhood status.  For anyone who thinks life has cheated
them out of an opportunity for a better education, I'll be happy to help
them find housing in Memphis, a part-time job with my employer that will pay
their tuition, and they will get full-time benefits.  It may not be the four
years of leisure they were dreaming about but they'll get their coveted
"sheepskin".  What they do with it after that is up to them.

Brad