[Rhodes22-list] More crabbing

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 00:16:39 EST 2008

Mike,

One more 'war' story and then I've got to get some zzzz's for an early
morning sim.  You mentioned the curtain between the cockpit and the cabin.
Did you ever sit in the very back row and look forward?  You only had a
sliver of visibility out the cockpit windows from the back.  We usually kept
the curtain closed except for "special" occasions.  Before our beloved Boy
Governor became POTUS, we used the old FYV airport as home base (they built
a brand-spanking new mother-of-all airports that would handle Airforce One
when he became HornDog1). The primary approach was a localizer that threaded
two Ozark hills.  The second approach was a VOR from the West with a huge
right turn when you broke-out.  We'd always use the VOR from the West and
open the curtain for the pax to enjoy the view.  As soon as you got under
the clouds the only thing you could see from the back of the plane was that
we we're pointed right straight at a hillside. With the gazillion decibels
from the lawnmower, er, I mean Garrett engines and the ear plugs and the
Dave Clark headsets, you couldn't hear the gasps and shrieks from the back.
You knew they were there from the dogcussin' you'd get as the pax deplaned.

Our motto was, "these people paid for a ride, we're gonna give em' one!"

I kinda miss those days.  Kinda.

Brad