[Rhodes22-list] The Grey Lady

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 08:38:41 EST 2008

Joe,

Unfortunately, that is the trend and nothing is going to change it, only 21%
of US workers have a defined benefit plan and the number is shrinking.
Eastman is following the lead of most other big US employers - dumping
defined benefit plans by buying out workers before they rack-up the big
gains in the final working years. The reasons are several but among them are
low long term interest rates, tougher regulatory burdens, longer life spans,
and a more mobile work force.  Most of these plans started after WW2 when we
lived in a different economic period.  I've been preaching to my boys the
importance of socking away money early to take advantage of the time value
of money and every time I get that "RCA dog look".

Brad