[Rhodes22-list] Political - Now Ark Building, planning boards

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Feb 18 18:46:07 EST 2008

Brad,

The "FEMA didn't replace my shit overnight" broght back a memory. I'll
indulge myself a little and share it (possibly again, I'm sure I spoke
of some of these things 2 1/2 years ago, when it was all fresh). This is
memorable because of the strong but conflicting, emotions ist stirred in me.

When we first got to NO, frankly we were a bit lost. I knew where we
needed to go, but my memories DIDN'T include submerged highways, and I
didn't know the "other routes". We were in a pickup truck towing a
smaller boat, being followed by an 18 wheeler with a high/low carring
our DUKW.  As we tried to find out way to the meeting point we were
headed to, at one point we ended up right off the ramp leading up to the
I-10 overpass that was pictured in many newspapers because of the
"mini-city" camped out on the overpass. We were literally right next to
that overpass, and soon right in the middle of it.

As we headed to the ramp, I saw a deserted water plant next to us.
Delivery trucks were strewn about like some giant kid had played with
them, then grew tired and forgot to put them away in his giant toybox.
Most were laying on their sides, some upside down. But almost all of
them had one thing in comon, their "cargo" was strewn all over the
place. Literally dozens, probably hundreds, of 5 gallon containers of
water. Though the outside of the bottles probably contained all kinds of
contamination, they were sealed so I figured they were good. I also
decided that taking them would not be looting. We weren't grabbing
televisions or CD's, this was water. Almost as importantly (though it
probably wouldn't have have stopped me were it not true), it was water
that was never going to be able to be sold to anyone as "merchandise",
but it most definitely could be used.

So we stopped our little caravan, and loaded up every single intact
container we could find. We had them stacked on the high/low, stacked
around our stuff in the pickup, and all over the smaller boat. It
wouldn't have made a long trip, but we were confident they'd make it the
200-300 yards up the ramp. That's important to remember, the 200-300
yards up the ramp.

So, we took our salvaged drinking water up the I-10 overpass ramp. We
stopped, and asked if anyone wanted water. At first, a couple of dozen
folks came by, many of them carrying off two jugs at one time. Before I
knew what was happening, we were surrounded by probably over 200 people.
Some of them were angry that some folks were getting two jugs, taking
more than "their share". I was actually getting nervous, and had the 18
wheeler driver pull besides us, so he could help clear the path when we
ran out. This whole thing probably took about 20 minutes (not counting
the hour to load them all on the rigs), about 10 of which was probably
the most scared I was on the whole trip, possibly in my whole life.
There's something more than intimidating when you're surrounded by
desperate people, all of whom want something you have.

However, we finished without incident. As the 18 wheeler was nearing
empty (the pickup and boat had finished pretty quickly), we simply got
in the vehicles, and watched the last jugs get taken off. Then we slowly
drove away.

I was relieved. I was proud. And I was disgusted. It wasn't the last
time I'd feel those conflicting emotions that week.

I was relieved because my worst fear about "the crowd" was exaggerated
in my mind, and we were able to simply drive away.

I was proud, because I felt I had done something truly worthwhile.
Something unplanned, something out of the "norm" for me, something that
required a new set of "as you go" rules and decisions. Most importantly,
something that worked.

I was also disgusted. These were adults, many of them men, almost all of
them fully able-bodied. The were ready and willing to swarm a couple of
rigs bringing them salvaged water, but they had (for the most part) been
unwilling to walk the 200-300 yards and get the water themselves. The
water plant was in plain view of the overpass, and some of the new
"residents" had gone and gotten water jugs themselves. The others, the
MAJORITY, waited for someone to bring their "salvation" to them. That
first morning in New Orleans for us was very much a metaphor of the
problems of the city.

--
Herb Parsons
S/V O'Jure - O'Day 25