[Rhodes22-list] What Should I Have Done Differently?

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Mon Feb 18 21:15:38 EST 2008

Mark, on my boom ,I have 4 cleats. Two before mid-boom that I use for the
inhaul,and two closer to the end of the boom that I use for the outhaul
line. When it's blowing big time, I always make sure I have the inhaul
line secured on the most forward cleat,before I leave the dock. When
I'm ready to put out the sail,I put about 2 or 3 feet of slack line
between the 2 cleats,and cleat it off on the second cleat.When your
ready for the sail,uncleat the forward cleat and pull on the
outhaul,until you've taken up the slack between the cleats and have
your sail out to the predetermined length.
I also like the Idea of putting out a little jib first,then if things get
hairy when you get the main out,It's easy to hove-to and appraise the
mess you got yourself into,in somewhat calmer conditions.When you don't
think your going to die,things like putting the pop top down and
lowering the boom,come to mind a whole lot quicker.
Been there,done that.
Jerry Lowe
S/V Country Rhodes