[Rhodes22-list] ss picture e-mailing hang up continued

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 13:10:49 EST 2008

john
  got one more for you, why does it take me four or five back clicks to back out of some messages to my main page? happened just now. acts like a slipping clutch.

John Lock <jlock at relevantarts.com> wrote:
  At 10:38 PM 2/23/2008 -0800, you wrote:

>i'd really like to know the answer to that one. the default email
>program on my computer is outlook express. i use yahoo. i always
>have to punch the email link, which then opens an outlook express
>box, copy or cut the address out of the box, and paste it into the
>yahoo mail compose box. the dropdown menu selection box in control
>panel doesn't have yahoo as a choice, nor a blank box where i can
>type it in. is it possible to get around this, do you know? thanks. john b

The problem is that Yahoo is not e-mail software that you install on
your computer. It is web-based e-mail, which means that you do all
your e-mailing via your web browser, not an e-mail program on your
computer. The Windows default e-mail setting expects to be pointed
at some program installed on your computer. And Windows cannot give
you a way to point the default e-mail program at a website (like Yahoo).

This causes a great deal of confusion for people who use web-based
e-mail, because they expect Yahoo (or whatever) to come up when you
click the various "Send as e-mail" links in Windows. But that's just
not going to happen. You'll usually just end up launching Outlook
and it probably hasn't been set up with your e-mail server
settings. It's a downward spiral from there...

Unfortunately, if you're going to depend on web-based e-mail you're
going to have to accept some limitations in the way your OS handles
e-mail. Macs have the same issue. It's not a short-coming of the
OS, it's really a result of co-opting the web to handle e-mail.

Cheers!

John Lock
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22
Lake Sinclair, GA