[Rhodes22-list] Coastal Living - Insurance

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Feb 24 21:44:14 EST 2008

Brad, do you realize how ominous the last two lines are? (well, the last
two of three, "BS" was its own sentence).

All of America needs to get ready to ante up as the next new wave of
"universal coverage" comes sniffing around. Wanna place bets on the
chances of "universal home coverage" as insurance companies make the
business decisons that they don't want to operate in high-risk areas
where the government arbitrarily increases the "coverage" they're
providing after a disaster strikes?

Brad Haslett wrote:
> This was predictable.  The Sun-Herald (Biloxi-Gulfport) had an article today
> about State Farm insurance and the fact they aren't writing any more
> homeowners policies in Florida. Nationwide and Allstate came to the same
> conclusion earlier (boat insurance is sure to follow).  Now I understand it
> is hard to love an insurance company, but this is a perfect example of what
> happens when 'da gubment' sticks its nose in private business, you don't get
> cheaper prices, you get fewer services.  Both Mississippi and Florida (and
> other states) have gone after insurers through their state insurance
> commissions and Attorney Generals, and the net result has been for the
> insurance companies to pick-up their bat, and ball, and glove, and go
> somewhere else to play. Those of us who live inland pay as well - my
> earthquake coverage was canceled due to Katrina, huh?  It sounds silly but
> that's the way it works.  The 2004/05 hurricane season gave the big boys
> bloody noses so they reduce their risk somewhere else to limit their
> exposure. Now here is the next thing that's predictable as hell, politicians
> will line-up during an election season and spout how they're going to
> protect you from those "greedy" insurance companies.  BS.  This is reality
> and the only thing you can do to remedy the situation is to take on more
> risk yourself, or move. If you love FEMA, you'll really love universal
> health care.
>
> Brad

Herb Parsons
S/V O'Jure - O'Day 25