[Rhodes22-list] Coastal Living - Insurance

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Feb 25 00:25:34 EST 2008

Unlike you, I don't mind being "elitist". I think the founding fathers
had a very good reason for requiring that citizens be landowners (OK, I
don't agree with their original white, male, over 21 [or was it 23?],
but those are a whole 'nother discussion); it was because owning land
(which was much easier to do back then) indicated a certain investment,
and interest, in local affairs. In other words, it was meant to be a
balance to the population learning they could "vote themselves money
from the public treasure", with its predicted eventual collapse of
democracy.

As we break down more and more "elitist" restrictions, we break down
more and more barriers of those that want what others have to simply
taking it. The power over the vote, unfettered, gives them the weapon to
do just that.

I think we're in the beginning stages of what Alexander Tyler predicted.
As people discover that they, through the power of their vote, can
require insurance companies to pay damages for coverage that they were
not paid for, force them to do business where it is not economically
viable, force you and I to pay for health care for those that are too
unmotivated to find the means to do so themselves; I fear we are headed
down that path.

Herb Parsons
S/V O'Jure - O'Day 25
S/V Reve de Pappa - Coronado 35