[Rhodes22-list] Coastal Living - Insurance

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 01:27:17 EST 2008

prices must keep up with the level of inflation. but like i said, insurance companies are also known as institutional investors. and publicly owned. thats why i said the fed should be the one who sets the caps, not the states. lots of systems in our country would be better if one standard was required. my mom used to say you could lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. all i'm saying is that it is in all our interest to have the fed guarantee the supply of water.

  Brad Haslett <flybrad at gmail.com> wrote:
  John,

Nearly all the insurance companies have substantially raised their rates for
coverage in coastal areas to reflect their newly calculated risks as a
result of the 04' and 05' hurricane seasons. Some states have limited the
amount they can raise rates, so they just quit selling in those areas if the
perceived risk is greater than their minimum return on investment. Remember,
insurance is not a right guaranteed by law, it is a business, and businesses
have to have a minimum ROI or they take their capital somewhere else. The
insurance companies have not "just walked away". They have behaved badly in
many cases and customers are making their cases in the judicial system,
often quite successfully. In Mississippi, many of the attorneys leading the
consumer fight are heading for jail. Mark my word, there will be some
politicians follow them. Those "big-bad" insurance companies don't have a
monopoly on greed. I love it when someone pulls the string on their Chatty
Cathy doll, "federal regulation!", "federal regulation!", "federal
regulation!". I'm going to pull the string on my "Bitchin' Bradley" doll,
"take some friggin' responsibility for yourself", repeat as necessary!

Brad