[Rhodes22-list] IMF is jamming - Bud have you done step one???

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Feb 27 05:28:12 EST 2008

Bud said, " I was demonstrating the ease of my IMF when it started jamming
up.
It looks as though my main is sagging on the inner mast and bunching up -
creating a thick layer of sail that binds inside the IMF.  I think I need to
"tighten" up the main at the top of the mast and make it taut again.
Also, I have always had a lot of main down goose neck on the boom.
I think I also need to raise the main up higher."

Rummy said, "Remember, when furling the main to have the boom at a
horizontal plane
(Or slightly below) with the topping lift taught."

Rik said, "Is your topping lift slack when you roll in your main?"

Seriously consider that your problem has nothing to do with loose screws!
Except, ...

Your most important observation, "main is sagging on the inner mast and
bunching up".

The boom has to be level or slightly tilted down at the end away from the
furling in the mast.  If it is up then too much wraping can cause binding.
That is it gets too thick inside the mast and binds.  This is what Rummy and
Rik tried to tell you.  Go back and reread their post.

Now, go to the boat as soon as you can.  Try to unfurl sail.  If it is
binding and you can see that thickness inside of mast that you have
described, loosen topping lift slightly, tighten main sheet and gently try
to extract main sail.  It is permissible to stand on cabin top and to pull
by hand to get sail past where it is binding.

Once past point where it is binding, see if it works in correct fashion.

Lubricate bottom turning points in side mast.  Captain Rummy has on this
forum while you have been a member given instructions on how to do this.  I
believe that he uses WD 40?  I use silicone spray.  And there may be other
acceptable lubricating sprays.  The important point is that you can
lubricate pivot point.  Captain Rummy is on fresh water and has had to do
this.  I suspect your being near saltwater increases the need to
occassionally do this project.

Maybe it would be best for you not to sell your sailboat, but tighten your
budget and learn its idiosyncrasies?  Sounds like you have a real need to
get away from your ground imaging and relax a little?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
http://www.nabble.com/file/p15710366/We%2BHave%2Ba%2BDream.jpg
We+Have+a+Dream.jpg