[Rhodes22-list] New Beginnings - Da List

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Thu Jan 3 12:38:37 EST 2008

At 12:15 PM 1/3/2008 -0500, michael meltzer wrote:
>The problem has not been so much update as has been view, the idea was only
>owners/list members should be able to get/view the list, than a few
>"requests"/requester's got people nervous so added "you had to be around for
>30 days and in good standing", Ed was pushing "flapper" for a while but it
>had low usage(suspect the privacy issues vs. the personal touch of Rummy and
>Mary Lou)

Yup, that's my biggest concern as well.  However, I think the biggest
usage of that data is more of the "which Rhodes owners are near me?"
type of query.  We've done a number of these for other membership
organizations and the privacy issues are easily managed.  And members
should always have the option of opting out of such listings, even if
they chose to create a profile record.

FYI - owner registries like this have become very valuable to
manufacturers.  Not so much for their marketing value, but as a way
of contacting owners in case of problems or significant news
regarding their model or equipment.  So there is some incentive and
legitimate value to entering your info, even if you do not wish to be
participate in the social aspects.

Cheers!

John Lock