[Rhodes22-list] New Beginnings - Da List

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Jan 3 13:08:51 EST 2008

John & Mary Lou,

A few thoughts:

*  The idea of a server-based owner registry is
   welcome and generally workable.  Other boat
   owner groups have set up similar capabilities
   online, and they are very valuable, although
   rarely so complete as what Mary Lou proposes.

*  While we can assume that any server John puts
   online will be internally secure, would it be
   possible for Rhodies to log in and access the
   site via a secure link so passwords, etc.
   couldn't be intercepted?

*  An ID & Password access control would provide
   security as good as any other online service,
   but the maintenance of the IDs and passwords
   might be a real time-eater for John.  Perhaps
   that task could be outsourced to Mary Lou,
   sharing the load?

And let me add my thanks to John for his offer to
host the email group, and to Mary Lou for pulling
together an owner registry, wherever and however
it is maintained and served.

May all your passages be clear and kind in 2008,

/Robert
John Lock wrote:

> At 09:05 PM 1/2/2008 -0500, Mary Lou Troy wrote:
> >A while back I took on the maintenance of the Rhodes owners list, the
> >contact list for owners of Rhodes 22s and long-term Rhodeslist
> >members. It was somewhat out of date at the time. It is now a lot
> >more out of date but life is on an even keel again and we (Fred and
> >I) are ready to revive "da list". Because the info is so out of date
> >we are starting almost from scratch.
>
> This is something we have been considering for addition to the (new)
> Rhodes22.org website - an owner registry.  My initial thinking is
> user ID and password access to an owner database that allows each
> owner to maintain their own info.  All this would be stored on the
> server and made available in much the same manner (and policies) as
> Mary Lou described.
>
> Information gathering is the first step in that process and it looks
> like Mary Lou has a jump on that.  I would only ask that the data you
> gather be stored in Excel or FileMaker or other "organized" form, so
> that we can import it into a database in the future.
>
> I would like to hear any ideas and opinions y'all have on this
> plan.  It's going to be a while before it is reality and now is the
> time to add your 2 cents on what you'd like to see included.
>
> Cheers!
>
> John Lock
> s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22
> Lake Sinclair, GA