[Rhodes22-list] Global warming and Lake Hartwellfreezing over...

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 13:27:46 EST 2008

thanks.

Ronald Lipton <rlipton at earthlink.net> wrote:  I do know something about this stuff (more than I know about sailing)
so I will try to outline a bit of the history of the science.
Global climate became a subject of study in the 1930's.
There was some indication then, by looking at the rather sparse weather
records that there had been some warming over the past century.
Most took this to be part of a local cycle, but the weather data was
untrustworthy
and centered on the Western Hemisphere. Studies in the 50s and 60s
focussed on the competing effects of injection of dust and smog, which leads
cooling, and greenhouse gas effects, which would cause warming. In the
same period studies began using ice cores and deep ocean sediments of
climate histories. Evidence for a 20,000 year cycle developed, with
larger swings in a 100,000 year period. This coincides with the period of
slight deviations of the earth's orbit. Ice cores showed a pattern
of rapid warming and slow cooling. These deviations, due to a wobble of the
axis, correspond to a tiny change in the total sunlight absorbed by the
earth. This, in turn, led to a realization of the sensitivity of the
climate system
to small perterbations. One of the realizations was that greenhouse gas
effects could serve to amplify small changes in total sunlight.

On the smaller time scale this was obscured by a slow cooling trend in the
50's and 60's. This led to a period of confusion and contradictory
predictions.
At that point climate models were not well enough developed and computing
power was insufficient to make reliable predictions from first principles.
Since
that time the temperature trend has been much more dramatic. In adidtion
models have now been developed which can be used to understand the
climate system. These models are what global warming predictions are based
on,
not "gee it's really hot today" or "it sure has been cold this winter". In
that
sense climate is more a science that it has been in the past, able to make
predictions
based on specific assumptions and verified by it's ability to reporduce
effects such as the
el ninos and climatic effects of volcanic eruptions.

For those who really are interested in the basis and history of the climate
instead of
quoting obscure Russian websites, take a look at the essays posted on the
American Institute of Physics website:
http://www.aip.org/history/climate/index.html

Ron