[Rhodes22-list] plunge - reward - Brooklyn? - Alice (Political Comment - Al do not read)

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Jan 4 16:57:44 EST 2008

   I'm a realist all the way around. I'm a firm believer in the adage
   "The best form government is a benevolent dictatorship".
   Unfortunately, the adage is fraught with several problems, that make
   it realistically unworkable:
   1) My definitation of "benevolent dictator" is differs too much from
   that of others (especially that of dictators)
   2) If I can find a benevolent dictator (by my definition), chances are
   he/she will change. I know for sure, I am VASTLY different from what I
   was 20 years ago. If I, one of the greatest human beings I know can
   change, then a benevolent dictator can change.
   3) If I can find a benevolent dictator that does not change, I fear
   how the "transfer of office" would be handled when he/she dies
   (although I probably think of myself as immortal, I don't think other
   people are).
   So, because of those problems, I don't trust the nanny state.
   Brad Haslett wrote:

Every Utopian experiment of the 20th Century resorted to violence to
maintain control after the inevitable failure to deliver as promised.  In
every case, allowing only the state to own guns was the first step.  We
never learn!

Herb Parsons
S/V O'Jure - O'Day 25
S/V Reve de Pappa - Coronado 35