[Rhodes22-list] Ed's Foul mood

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 09:14:33 EST 2008

Mike,

Ah yes, PATCO.  I was in college and flying charter.  We found some
interesting ways around the strike.  ATC would only allow so many departures
per hour and you had to file for a slot.  Charter and corporate pilots would
file for a slot when they thought they needed one and then traded with other
pilots.  A black market of sorts started and it worked amazingly well.

Organized labor is like anything in life, good if done in moderation.  I've
been a union member for over 25 years and wouldn't want to work as a pilot
for a large company without a collective bargaining agreement.  That said,
don't back companies or wild animals into corners without leaving them an
out.  They might just destroy you!  PATCO overplayed their hand - it appears
the writers are well on their way to the same outcome.  I don't watch TV so
it has been no personal sacrifice.  Many others are learning they can live
quite well without them as well.

Any chance you could sail to work?

Brad