[Rhodes22-list] Ice Rink

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Jan 9 18:00:50 EST 2008

I cover my cockpits to keep water out
during the winter here in Maine.  Also
did it when I was in Maryland.

Consider the following scenario:

Cockpit drain ices up.
Cockpit takes on more water from rain/snow.
Stern sinks lower in the water.
Cockpit drain port is submerged.
Ice in drain cracks thru-hull or hose.
Sea water fills cabin.

Given an electricity source, I'd think about
installing heat tape, such as used to keep
pipes from freezing or prevent ice dams,
around the circumference of the cockpit
floor and down thru the drain(s).

The tube for the centerboard control line
may also be a risk area?

/Robert
john Belanger wrote:

> safety first. ;-)
>
> Leland <LKUHN at cnmc.org> wrote:
> Decided to take a chance and leave my boat in the water this winter. Most of
> the local watermen do it along with plenty of other boaters. With four foot
> seasonal tides, mushy salt water ice, and global warming; I figured it was a
> low-risk plan.
>
> Discovered that the water in the cockpit drain will freeze before the
> Chesapeake does. Visited the boat last week and found a little ice skating
> rink in the cockpit. It quickly melted with the unseasonally warm
> temperatures we've had the last few days, but now I'll have to visit my boat
> more often to ensure her safety. At least that's what I told my wife.
>
> Lee
> 1986 Rhodes22 At Ease
> Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)
> --

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331
s/v "Little Dipper" & "Edith P."