[Rhodes22-list] Economics and Health Care

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 15:42:38 EST 2008

Herb,

What people seem to miss (because they want to miss it) is the rate of
growth in the various sectors.  Clearly, as Moody's points out, the highest
rate of growth in public spending is in the social welfare area and the
problem is growing bigger even if we don't add new programs to it.  Provide
health care for everyone and the problem gets worse.  Hey, I like the
concept.  I'd love for my brother and other employees to have health care as
well as my son employed in the private sector.  But someones got to pay.  As
you pointed out, wars come and go, these entitlements go on forever.  We
need to figure out a solution to what we've already started before we add
more to the problem.

Now here's some timely news just out of Boston.  To quote Ronald Reagan,
"government is not the solution to the problem, government IS the problem".
Who are we protecting here?  WalMart has gotten in the walk-in clinic
business and from the reviews I've read are quite good for the limited
services they provide.  I've been accomplishing the same thing for years by
buying drugs in China and self-medicating when needed (I think I know my
body as well as any doctor).  A good nurse-practitioner is all most people
need for eighty-plus percent of what ails them.  But NO, not in Boston.  The
nanny government knows your needs better than you!

Brad

--------------------

Menino decries clinics in retailers Urges health council to bar infirmaries
from opening in city

By Stephen Smith, Globe Staff  |  January 11, 2008

Mayor Thomas M. Menino embarked on a highly public campaign yesterday to
block CVS Corp. and other retailers from opening medical clinics inside
their stores, an effort that exposed a rift between Menino and the state's
public health commissioner, a longtime ally.

Menino blasted state regulators for paving the way Wednesday for the
in-store clinics, which are designed to provide treatment for sore throats,
poison ivy, and other minor illnesses.

The decision by the state Public Health Council, "jeopardizes patient
safety," Menino said in a written statement. "Limited service medical
clinics run by merchants in for-profit corporations will seriously
compromise quality of care and hygiene. Allowing retailers to make money off
of sick people is wrong."

In a separate letter, Menino urged members of the city's Public Health
Commission to consider barring the clinics from Boston. CVS executives said
they plan to open 25 to 30 MinuteClinics in Greater Boston before the end of
the year, although they have not specified how many of those will be within
the city's limits.

The Boston Public Health Commission spent nearly an hour discussing the
impending arrival of the clinics and ways they could potentially be stopped.

The panel took no action, but instructed the health agency's attorney to
investigate whether it could adopt regulations forbidding stores with
clinics from selling tobacco products, forcing them to make an untenable
financial choice. The city says 31 CVS stores and 56 other pharmacies in
Boston have city-issued licenses to sell tobacco.

In a statement issued last night, executives of MinuteClinics said they
"would be happy to talk to Mayor Menino about any of his concerns."

"We at MinuteClinic are committed to providing convenient, affordable access
to quality health care," the statement said.

By issuing a broadside against the clinics and the state's approval of them,
Menino placed himself squarely in opposition to a former longtime deputy,
John Auerbach. Before becoming the state's public health commissioner last
year, Auerbach spent nine years as executive director of the Boston Public
Health Commission.

Auerbach's state agency yesterday released a statement defending its
decision on the clincs: "The members of the Public Health Council were
deliberative and thoughtful in their review of the limited service clinic
regulation. We believe these types of clinics, operated either as part of a
retail operation or in a nonprofit setting, can provide the public access to
safe, convenient, and quality care for minor health issues."

The clinics are not designed to treat chronic diseases such as cancer or
diabetes or serious emergencies. The facilities will be staffed with
nurse-practitioners who are trained to spot patients with more severe
illnesses or in need of specialized care and send them to a doctor or an
emergency room.

The regulations apply to any retail company, hospital, or community health
center that wants to open a limited-service clinic outside traditional
settings.

Members of the Public Health Commission acknowledged many of the mayor's
concerns yesterday, but they also said a solution needs to be found for
patients who can't get easy access to primary-care doctors or who spend
hours waiting to have routine illnesses treated in emergency rooms.

Commission member Hortensia Amaro, a Northeastern University professor, said
her own experience trying to make an appointment illustrates the crisis.

"It's almost impossible to get a primary-care doctor in Boston," she said.
"I've waited nine months to get an appointment, and I have great insurance."

Still, members of the commission said clinics inside retail stores might
only exacerbate long-standing problems in the healthcare system. Dr. Paula
Johnson, a board member and physician at Brigham and Women's Hospital, said
episodic visits to a drug store clinic could defeat efforts to provide
patients with a reliable continuum of care.

"We could be setting ourselves up for some real problems," she said.