[Rhodes22-list] Please help a new Rhodes owner out

Matt and Liz Brentjens brentjens at mchsi.com
Sat Jan 12 12:49:14 EST 2008

I've tried posting this several times, and it hasn't yet appeared on the
list . . .
I'm trying again . . . Sorry if this is a double post.  Thanks for any
advice!

Matt B.

PS Thanks for the advice about coming here instead of through Nabble, EdK.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I live in Edenton NC, just a block away from
Stan's Rhodes 22 factory.

To make a long story short, we are buying a new Rhodes 22 this spring.
I am asking for some advice about accessories.

I want a GPS navigation system, and have tentatively decided on the
Garmin 545S GPS with transducer.  Does anyone have a Garmin?  Opinions?
Do you need an antenna or is the built-in antenna adequate?

I also am thinking about  the WestMarine VHF650 radio with DSC
capabilities.  Any other recommendations?

Finally, does anyone have a wind vane?  I was thinking about the Windex
Sport 3120 model.  Does anyone think its even necessary and are there
any other vanes I should consider?

Any advice about life-vests?  I'm completely lost when shopping for
life-vests since I've never personally owned a boat before . . .

I should mention that we intend to sail the boat locally for the most
part (the Abemarle Sound), but that we intend to sail to the outer banks
as well (even as far as Charleston SC) from time to time.

Thanks to anyone who responds.  I'm very much looking forward to my new
boat ("Mr. Magoo" for reasons I won't bore you with).  I look forward to
hearing back from other Rhodes owners.

Matt Brentjens
Edenton, NC