[Rhodes22-list] Indian Winter

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 16:51:10 EST 2008

 INDIAN WINTER

 It was already late fall and the Indians on a remote
 reservation in South Dakota asked their new chief if
 the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.
 Since he was a chief in a modern society he had
 never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at
 the sky he couldn't tell what the winter was going
 to be like. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he
 told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to
 be cold and that the members of the village should
 collect firewood to be prepared.

 Being a practical leader, after several days he got
 an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the
 National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming
 winter going to be cold?"

 "It looks like this winter is going to be quite
 cold," the meteorologist at the weather service
 responded. So the chief went back to his people and
 told them to collect even more firewood in order to
 be prepared.

 A week later he called the National Weather Service
 again. "Does it sti ll look like it is going to be a
 very cold winter?"

 "Yes," the man at National Weather Service again
 replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter." The
 chief again went back to his people and ordered them
 to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

 Two weeks later the chief called the National
 Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that
 the winter is going to be very cold?"

 "Absolutely," the man replied. "It's looking more
 and more like it is going to be one of the coldest
 winters we've ever seen."

 "How can you be so sure?" the chief asked.

 The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting
 firewood like crazy."

 Always remember this whenever you get advice from a
 government official.