[Rhodes22-list] Attn: Robert - Squirrel Question

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Jan 17 11:41:16 EST 2008

Brad,

When we had squirrels in our house 3 years ago, they had ripped open the
vinyl siding, tore our the insulation and nested in the space between the
siding and the sheathing about 20 feet high on the north side of the house.
We used an animal control expert (ADVANCED NUISANCE WILDLIFE CONTROL
SERVICES INC, www.liwildlife.com ) who assured my wife that he was trapping
and releasing the cute little fellas in the "next county" (lucky them.)  He
confided in me that because the animals will return to build nests in or
near their original birthplace, he needed to destroy the trapped animals.
Made sense to me.

He trapped during breeding season (late winter into spring) and maintained
traps until they were empty for 2 weeks (no new latecomers.)

He then placed Nixalite (http://www.nixalite.com/nixalitemodels.aspx)
barriers along the roofline above the damaged area to prevent access, I
repaired the damage and replaced the siding.  We have not had a repeat
problem and I still have the trees, the birds and a few less squirrels.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Brad Haslett" <flybrad at gmail.com> Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:21 AM