[Rhodes22-list] Serious subject not related to sailing - ChernobylUkraine reactor today

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Fri Jan 25 20:21:20 EST 2008

Tootle wrote:
> I was going to send the following web
> site to a few who might be interested
> in it.  I have changed my line of thinking...

Ed,

Thank you for the very interesting reference.
It is a real kick in the gut, bringing back
some memories from 30 years ago.  It sure
underlines the need for careful management
of nuclear power.

In the '70s, I lived in the little town of
Port Clinton, Pennsylvania.  There were (and
still are) some 400-500 residents.  It was
situated on route 61 in the Blue Mountains
at the fork where the north branch of the
Schuylkill river joins the west branch
before spilling out on the flatland toward
Reading and Philadelphia.

It was also exactly downwind of the Three
Mile Island nuclear reactor during its
meltdown scare.

As a borough councilman, I had to try to make
sense of the information available and
determine whether/when/how to evacuate the
town if the situation warranted it.

I was one of perhaps 5 people in town who had
even a foggy idea how a nuke plant worked.
It was an interesting few days.  I was on the
phone constantly, and learned a lot more than
I have had to use since then, thank you, about
both nuclear power plants and evacuation
planning.

I'm not against nukes, but would like to keep
them as a fall-back if/as/when we max out
other sources of energy.  The long-term
nuclear waste transportation and storage
problems are only partially solved.

While I have become convinced that we cannot
stop or reverse global climate change, I see
no reason to aggravate the situation when
alternatives to CO2 producing energy sources
exist and are practical - and cheaper than
oil as it becomes scarce and/or is manipulated
as a political weapon.

Here in Maine, there is an escalating debate
about the placement and construction of wind
turbine power generation towers.  If we could
harness even a fraction of the wind generated
about spoiling the view and the danger to
migrating birds, we would be miles ahead of
the game.  With tides that range up to 20
feet down east, we could also use retention
ponds and low-fall generators for "carbon
free" and relative nonpolluting energy.

Ed, your illuminating reference agitates my
thinking in a visceral way, and I thank you.

/Robert