[Rhodes22-list] Genoa Furling Problems

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue Jul 1 21:10:12 EDT 2008

Hi Lee,
I think it's once a librarian, always a librarian. A vocation in more
ways than one. I actually enjoy visiting good libraries more now. I
don't feel called upon to take any of those good ideas anywhere and
implement them.

I'm pretty sure you can change sails on a CDI furler with the mast
up. I think it involves the use of a messenger line connected to the
halyard or something. It might make sense to get ahold of the
literature/manual on the CDI and see what it says about the
positioning of the sail. When we installed our new Schaeffer we had
to use a pennant at the top to help position the sail properly. The
first time we used too long a pennant, had to take the sail down,
shorten the pennant and raise it again. Not very difficult on the
Schaeffer. The sail furled much better with the shorter pennant. You
might get out the binoculars and check how far the top of the sail is
from the masthead on your boat and then compare it to the boat with
the problem. If the sail is miscut, it might show up by comparison.

Someone made a comment about backstay tension (on this thread or the
other one) and I'd definitely check that as well.

Hope this is helpful.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD