[Rhodes22-list] cockpit cushions

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Thu Jul 3 14:36:42 EDT 2008

At 02:08 PM 7/3/2008 -0400, R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
>The problem I see with the side cushions going all the way to the rear is
>that it limits accessibility to the lazzerette. You know me, I like to keep
>things simple. Anything that inhibits movement or accessibility is a real
>problem. I get enough bumps and bruises just mixing drinks while I'm  sailing.

Since my cushions are going to need replacement soon, I've been
considering both styles as well.  For my own needs, I'm inclined
toward the side cushions that go all the way to the stern and no
cushion on the laz.  Nobody sits on the laz while underway and it
would be most accessible if not covered at all.  If I need additional
seating while moored, I'll just pull out a couple of throwable PFDs to sit on.

I currently have the other style, with the wide laz cushion.  That's
a pain to lift and hold up out of the way while you're going into the
laz.  Maybe a couple of gas struts on the laz cover would solve that,
but it would still be there.  'Specially considering there is usually
stuff piled up back there like beach towels, the main sheet, binocs,
snacks, etc.  I'd rather do away with it altogether so I can lift the
laz cover unencumbered.

A little velcro stuck on the underside of the side cushions should
keep them in place while under way.

Now... that leaves the problem of using the whole cockpit as a
sleeping area during nice weather.  You would probably need something
on the laz to completely stretch out.  I still think I'd us a
separate filler cushion just for that purpose that gets stored
inside.  Maybe just a piece of foam you can roll up tight and shove
in the forepeak.  Haven't got this all thought out yet.

Cheers!

John Lock