[Rhodes22-list] Squirrels update for Brad and Bob S.....NotSailing... Not Political

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jul 8 09:17:18 EDT 2008

Brad,

Maybe he used to live in DC and just heard the SC ruling

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Brad Haslett" <flybrad at gmail.com>Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 8:43 AM
Hey guys,

I'd buy one but mysteriously I don't have squirrels in my backyard anymore.
However, if they read the attached story they may decide to re-invade.

Oh please, could I have another big helping of 'gubment'?  I feel so
defenseless without some politician's benevolent wisdom.

Brad

--------------------

from Reason-
Woke Up This Morning, Got Yourself a BB Gun

David Weigel <http://reason.com/staff/hitandrun/176.html> | July 7, 2008,
4:16pm

Ryan Narcisco, a 20-year old mall clerk, might go to jail
<http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080706/NEWS/807050359>for
keeping a BB gun in his car.

The gun, a Gamo P-23, was sitting under the rear window of the 2004 coupe.
Looking like a larger-caliber handgun, the firearm drew a quick response
from the bicycle-patrol officer who stopped Narciso for doing 40 mph in a
25-mph zone. With gun drawn, the officer arrested him.

Narciso's father, an architect, bought the pellet gun at a garage sale a few
years ago to fend off squirrels that made their way into the attic of the
families home on Mount Pleasant Avenue in Edison, the father and Narciso's
lawyer, Amilcar Perez of Perth Amboy, said.

Under a new state law, Narciso's possession of the weapon qualifies as a
Graves Act offense. Narciso could face what prosecutors and criminal defense
attorneys call a "hard three," meaning three years with no prospect of
parole.

How did the law get so strict? By accident.

With little or no fanfare, lawmakers stiffened the Graves Act in the last
session. They folded the amendment into anti-gang legislation that Gov. Jon
S. Corzine signed into law in January.

Now, the simple unlawful possession of any firearm can bring mandatory
penalties for anyone who pleads guilty to or is convicted of that crime
alone.

Narcisco might come out ahead in this—he's drawn attention to a boneheaded
law and might not have to do the prison time. But the article, by Ken
Serrano, has more examples of the law being misapplied.