[Rhodes22-list] Sta Bil has new product for outboards!

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Jul 16 11:36:37 EDT 2008

Art,

Sta-Bil is less expensive at Defender (www.defender.com p/n:751633, $11.95,
8oz=80gals.)

You might also want to investigate the following:
    MDR E-Zorb Fuel Stabilizer  #300047    16oz (320 gals)    $14.71
(Defender)
    Pri-G Gasoline Treatment      #1444900  16oz (256 gals)    $23.99  (West
Marine)

The Pri-G also claims to refresh old fuel to "refinery fresh" by preventing
gum and varnish formation as well as treating the phase separation noted in
E-10.  They claim storage capability of years
(http://www.priproducts.com/prigproduct.htm .)  E-Zorb claims to emulsify
ethanol and water so that they may be burned.  Most reviews of E-Zorb and
Sta-Bil note that the fuel should be consumed within 60 days, although both
are sold for "winterizing" fuel.  All are compatible with 2- and 4-cycle
engines.

The cautions regarding the use of ethanol mixes in marine applications come
down to this:

    1.    Ethanol is a great solvent and may dissolve old varnish and gum in
the
                system (tank, hoses, engine, etc.)  We used to call this an
"engine
                cleaning gasoline" (remember the Mobil washing machine?)
After
                a few tanks of E-10, your fuel system will be ethanol clean.
Until then
                most manufacturers recommend filter changes at 10-20 hours
of operation.

    2.    Ethanol may dissolve fuel system components such as hoses and
certain
                poorly made fiberglass tanks.  Since 1980, the USCG has
required all
                marine components (hoses, seals, etc.) to be ethanol or
alcohol compatible.
                If you use a plastic fuel tank all should be fine.  If in
doubt, buy new
                hoses (or tank.)

    3.    Ethanol mixes attract water vapor and separate from the gasoline.
                To remedy this, pick up the tank and mix the fuel regularly
to prevent.
                If concerned, use one of the above stabilizers.

Since most of us use our engines for infrequent short runs and keep fuel for
next year, the use of a stabilizer product such as Pri-G may be the best
solution.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY