[Rhodes22-list] Question for Michael Meltzer

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 19:53:04 EDT 2008

Ed,

The last VW diesel I owned was a 1984 Audi diesel (same drive train as the
1980 Pennsylvania built Rabbit POS diesel I bought brand new) and it was a
good car but for the German wiring and the extra weight (I'm convinced the
Krauts would have won WW2 but for their lack of understanding about
electricity).  My next diesel was a Mercedes-Benz.  It had the same
electrical problems but the engine was built like a tank.  Actually, the
original design for the engine was for a submarine.  I went through the Audi
plant in Ingalstadt about 1989 and that plant was already outdated. Dr.
Diesel's invention will prevail in the long run!  If you look at the hybrids
and the BIGASSBATTERY and all the downstream effects of the mining required,
the disposal issues, and the bucks you pay on the front-end for "feeling
good about yourself" you realize what a Al Gore like fakeness there is about
the hybrids (not that I'm calling Prius owners phony - they don't know
better). I was getting 50 mpg in 1980 and it had nothing to do with
politics, it was all about saving money. ALL my construction equipment on
the coast is diesel and Rik is welcome to weigh-in at anytime but I'm
betting anyone who wants to bet that ALL his trucks were diesel.

GWB has never been eloquent, never will be eloquent, but sometimes even he
hits a home run.  Here's a video of him doing so!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM3CEXexzvc&eurl=http://michellemalkin.com/2008/07/15/bush-news-conference-oil-economy-war/

Americans are smart, they'll figure it out.  The last thing we need is
'savior'.

Brad