[Rhodes22-list] new old boat is at a new home in Ohio

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Mon Jul 21 11:46:19 EDT 2008

Well, we picked up our new 1993 recycled Rhodes Saturday and after a quick
test sail started home.  We trailered her behind our 2005 Honda Pilot.  The
Pilot has a towing capacity of 4500# and was equal to the task, but only
just.  I was gratified that the Pilot was able to launch and retrieve at
Stan's ramp without any trouble at all.  Things got a little squirrelly
above 60 mph while towing and the PA turnpike was just no fun at all.

Here's a pic at Stan's.  Yes, those are kayaks on top of the Honda.  Those
probably didn't help our stability much.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18571473/93%2Br22%2Band%2Bhonda.jpg

Here's a shot of the new boat with Stan, myself, and Mark (on top, rigging
her for the road).

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18571473/r22%2Bstan%2Bmike%2Band%2Bmark.jpg

And, last, here's a shot of the 93 recycled r22 at her new home.  She won't
go into the barn in the background with her mast up on the mast support, but
it looks like she'll go in with it down.  So she'll get the spend her
winters indoors most likely.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18571473/93%2Br22%2Bat%2Bhome.jpg

Hopefully we'll get her out later this week for a test sail.  Though we're
just back from vacationing at the Outer Banks (hence the kayaks) and things
will be really busy this week and next catching up.

I've already gotten the Lake Erie charts though, so hopefully we'll splash
at Sandusky the first weekend in August for a weekend cruise around the Lake
Erie islands.

I appreciate all the input from the list and, no doubt, I'll have a ton of
questions as we become familiar with our new boat.  Actually, I have one
already.  There's a pair of cam locks on the sides of the cabin that I can't
figure out the use for.  Here's a shot.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18571473/mystery%2Bcam.jpg

I know that there's a million ways to rig the genoa, but thought that first
two (outboard to inboard) ended up at the winches with the third using the
inboard cam cleats on the cabin top.  The topping lift is accounted for on
the outboard port cabin top.  The genoa in-haul is accounted for on the
outboard starboard cabin top.  So what's the cleat on the side of the cabin
top for?

She doesn't have a name yet, we're still working on that.

Mike Cheung s/v ????