[Rhodes22-list] Information gathering

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Jul 22 16:57:46 EDT 2008

At 04:25 PM 7/22/2008 -0400, Michael D. Weisner wrote:
>I wonder if we can try to solve the problem a bit differently than chasing
>otherwise good folks off the list.  Maybe John can set up a third
>distribution mode in addition to "Non-digested" and "Digested", something
>called "Sailing limited" which would only receive items of sailing interest.
>Maybe we could use a prefixed subject line modifier such as "Sailing:" to
>direct these posts to the limited list as well as the general list.
>Forgetting to add the subject line modifier will only affect those who do
>not wish to be on "da list", not the rest of us.  John, is such a thing
>doable?

Doable, but probably not practical.  Besides the programing involved,
it depends on the poster remembering to place the magic word in the
subject line.  We all know how well THAT works!

Seriously... before we can discuss making any changes, we need more
information.  Right now we have no sense of what the majority
wants.  We've heard from the usual suspects on what they want, but
there are 268 list members; most of whom have not stated a preference.

We might assume that everything is hunky-dory, since we don't have
268 complaints.  But that may be because no good alternatives have
been proposed.

I'd like to suggest a simple poll.  I can whip one up in a few
minutes and post the URL to the list.  We'll run it for a couple
weeks and see what kind of stats come out.  Might be interesting to
have some facts to kick around... yes?

Cheers!

John Lock