[Rhodes22-list] R22 Delivery Options

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Tue Jul 22 21:14:33 EDT 2008

I plan to take delivery of a new R22 spring of 2009, am considering the
following options.

1. Buy a trailer, drive to  Edenton from Washington DC, pick up the boat and
take it to Herrington Harbor in Deal Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay.  This
is probably what most people do and would be fine if I had a place to keep a
trailer.  I live in Washington DC and don't have any place to keep a
trailer.  Herrington Harbor would be happy to store the trailer for me but
over several years it would probably cost me as much to store the trailer as
it would be to buy a new one.

2. Have Stan deliver the boat to Herrington Harbor via one of his trailers
including transportation.  Probably pretty costly.

3. take possession in Edenton and sail the boat out of the Albermarle Sound,
up the Chesapeake bay to Herrington Harbor.  Probably not a very safe option
unless weather conditions are just right.  Has anyone actual taken
possession of an R22 out of Edenton by sailing it out into the ocean and
then home?  Is the inlet from the sound to the ocean and easy passage?  I
have ocean sailing experience but it has been in a fixed keel boat
significantly larger than an R22.

4. Have stan trailer the boat to Chesapeake Virginia near Norfolk and sail
up the Chesapeake Bay.  This option would limit the travel distance for
Stan, eliminate an ocean passage.

I would be interested in anyones input or ideas on these or any other
delivery options.

Thanks