[Rhodes22-list] Minnesota is tough on R22s

Dana realnamen at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 00:10:33 EDT 2008

Hey Slim, glad to hear you survived!

I still want to crew on Fandango.  I'm tied up until early Aug. myself.  Boy, summers just slip away, don't they?

Minnesota has been tough on R22s this year.  I lost my forestay in a storm in June.  A piling let loose in the harbor and the bow pounded against the boardwalk for a few hours.  An eyewitness said there where 3 foot waves crashing over the transom and forcing the boat forward for about a 20 minute period.  For those that don't know, my boat is on Leech Lake in northern MN.  Big lake - 110,000 acres.

When I got there, the genoa and furling tube were laying on the deck, but the mast was still standing!  Thank goodness for the forward lower shrouds!!!!  Those two little pieces of wire are priceless.  Luckily there was very little fiberglass damage, as the boardwalk was mostly hitting the bow pulpit.

With Stan to the rescue, a new forestay and bearings for the tube had me sailing again by early July.  I also purchased a boat lift so she is now high and dry but still in the harbor.

I've had a few different boats (all varieties), and I've gotta say, I just love this R22.  When I get some pics, I'll post some of the stuff that I've added to the boat.  My favorite is the 12V fridge :> (big smiles)

-Dana