[Rhodes22-list] R22 Delivery Options

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Jul 23 09:00:53 EDT 2008

Cowie,

If you absolutely want a trailer, I'd go with option #1.  Trailers are nice
if you really think you'll want to sail in different areas that you can't
reasonably reach by water.  Another big advantage is that you can pull your
boat out anytime you want for dry storage or to do work on her.  However,
the return-on-investment for buying a trailer is non-existent if you plan to
keep your boat in the water at a full-service marina.  The cost for
Herrington Harbor to pull and dry store your boat every year will be cheaper
than the purchase cost, tax, title, tags, insurance, storage, and
maintenance of a trailer.  Stan doesn't recommend the expense of a trailer
if you're on a budget.  I didn't buy one and haven't regretted it.

If you don't get a trailer, I'd go with option #2.  Well worth the money
considering it includes the training and sailing that goes with a
commissioning.  If you factor in the fuel, vehicle, labor and overnight
meals and lodging; it's not a bad deal.

#3 & #4 sound good on paper, but in reality it would be smarter to have your
first sailing adventures close to your marina.  You can always sail down and
visit Stan later if you need to pick up a screw or a lightbulb.

Congratulations and good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD