[Rhodes22-list] Slim's incident and subsequent repairs

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sat Jul 26 03:05:51 EDT 2008

I would call Stan at an off hour when he would have time to talk to you.
Have a list of your questions written and ready.  He can make new stays.
Send him the broken ones so Mark can make a twin brother.

All these damages have been done before and Stan has made the boats look
new.  Just ask Ben with Velvet Elvis.

To me the biggest issue is whether or not there is any bend in the mast.
That is the most expensive issue and the mast may not be replaceable
anymore.  The company that made the mast for Stan was sold and the new
owners got rid of the dies for drawing the mast.  Big problem for Stan in
that it could cost more than a boat for a IMF mast today.

As to bend in rail, I would find some shop that makes biminis or deck boat
awnings and has bending equipment.  I suspect it can be straitened some, but
never like new.  They might be able to cut out the bent piece and put in
straight or correct piece but it would have noticeable connectors.  Maybe
design a walk thru where the bend is to put a swim ladder?  Kind of hide the
damage by other modifications.

Chris has the expertise on chain plate repairs. There have been others who
have pulled the mast base out of the cabin top, so they may be able to offer
suggestions.

Your furler might be an issue.  Is it a GBI or CDI?  Any crimp might be
problematic on putting on a sail.

While it is a two day or three day trip to Edenton, that is one place to
make it like new.  He is the guy with the parts and mechanics.  If you want
it back to original, tow it to Edenton.  He would have the stays.  Might
have new or good rail.  Has fixed the cabin tops.

The chain plate will be an issue that will take a lot of work to make it
look good.  Even after repairing, the cabin exterior will probably need
painting.  It is hard to even come close after exterior repairs.  Stan has
Calvin, who is really good on repairing this sort of stuff.  An amatuer job
may look like hell and the chain plate repair may not have the proper
strength.

Have another glass of chocolate milk.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA