[Rhodes22-list] Problems with the gmail spam filter

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Jul 28 16:22:33 EDT 2008

Hank,

There is no official e-mail header called "Mailed by:".  Google is
gleaning that information out of the actual e-mail headers and
presenting it that way to make it easier to understand.  Their advice
is to contact the sender to "authenticate" their message.  Not
exactly sure what they mean by this.

But it's problematic for most mailing lists.  The central problem is
that list mail does not really come from the originator.  It comes
from the list server.  So, by Google's definition, ALL mail coming
from list servers could be considered spam because the originator and
actual sender will never match.

One thing might be worth a try is to add
"rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org" to your Google Contacts.  That's
the internal sender address that the list server uses and it might be
enough to get Google to leave list mail alone.

Cheers!
John