[Rhodes22-list] Horsepower ?? Engine size ??

Rob Granger rgranger at sbc.edu
Tue Jul 29 21:22:06 EDT 2008

Hey I'm only a Rhodie want-to-be renter but this question has come up
on both the MacGregor List and Coronado List (SailNet).  The max
engine size has more to do with weight on the transom than anything
else.  Also be sure to get the low profile pitched prop.  Most come
with a speed prop.  A displacement craft needs to push more water.
Some of the newer engines have a lot more HP/pound than the older ones
did... so you can get away with more HP on your upgrade.  Also
consider if you want an alternator....   it is not a big thing for
some people but it can give you more independence while out.

The Honda 4-stroke will be my next engine.  I have a 38 year old 7.5
mercury that still starts on the second pull-- I mostly sail in a Lake
with no currents so  I can't really justify a new motor but everyone
in my marina has gone Honda 4-stroke.  They are so quite you almost
forget they are running and they seem to last.

On an older boat I had (a MacGregor 22) I was coming into Kiptopeke
state park at the southern tip of the DelMarVa peninsula (Chesepeke
Bay) and the currents were so strong I had to make an angled run (3
tries) to hit the loading ramp.  At that time I wished I had a
stronger engine.

It is something to consider.... I'd get the biggest engine my transom
& wallet can handle.

G-Rob