[Rhodes22-list] Alan Robertson and Sailboat Engines and reply to Rob G... and sailboat engines

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Jul 30 08:05:19 EDT 2008

Alan,

Alan wrote, "Just learned from my Johnson Dealer who sold me 2  9.9
Sailmasters since '83 that Outboard Marine doesn't make anything smaller
than a 40 horse now! What happened to "buy American?" Did Tohatsu buy up
Mercury?

Try the French, Bombadier(sp).

Rob G.:

Rob G. said, "It is something to consider.... I'd get the biggest engine my
transom & wallet can handle."
Then you should have been happy with the Mac 26.  Real sailboats, that is
those without water ballast like the Rhodes 22 are designed for sailors.
Sailors appreciate skill and with skill they even retrieve a boat  in waters
with currents.

Many sailboats transoms are designed with this concept in mind.  You are at
the wrong shop thinking that you are going to hang a 50 hp motor on a Rhodes
22.  Comodore Spitzer knows Roger McGregor and the two believe in different
sailboats, notwithstanding that Roger M. learned a great deal from Stan S.,
master sailboat builder.

Maybe in addition to your order for a cruising places book, a few books on
sailboat design should be read?  For beginners consider:

Ted Brewer explains Sailboat Design
 or
Yacht Design according to Perry.

Ed K