[Rhodes22-list] Lazy Summers and Political debate

Benjamin Cittadino bcittadino at dcs-law.com
Thu Jul 31 18:58:28 EDT 2008

OK Brad....Sen. Obama did work as a "community organizer" for afew years
in the mid-eighties. He was Director of something called the Developing
Communities Project.  It was a church-based group comprised, not of the
likes of Rev. Wright, but of eight Catholic Parishes on the south side
of Chicago.  He, by all accounts, helped that group establish
job-training, college prep, and tenants assistance programs that were
effective.

Of course in the Senate he worked with such "flaming liberals" as Sen.
Lugar (R), IN to push successfully for the "Lugar-Obama" conventional
weapons threat reduction legislation, and Sen. Coburn (R), OK to pass
the "Coburn-Obama Transparency Act" which funded www.USAspending.gov. ,
run by one of our favorite federal agencies, The Office of Management
and Budget to help reveal and eliminate wasteful government spending.

Look, I'm plenty cynical about all politicians, including Sen. Obama,
and I'm well aware that John McCain is a man of unrivaled personal
courage and patriotism; but the choice here is between two good men and
the character assassination directed at this talented young man by the
likes of Fox News and others is just not right.

Believe it or not I'm  a life-long Republican who voted for Richard
Nixon the first time I ever cast a Presidential ballot.  I became an "R"
in the days when there were "Rockefeller Republicans", (social liberals
and fiscal conservatives, strong on defense) ( and the southern racists
were democrats ). Today the party seems dominated by right wing
religious fundamentalists who are driving away thoughtful, Darwin
appreciating," keep the government out of my bedroom" folks like me.

Anyway, it's the dog days of summer and I have some time on my hands.
Thanks for listening.

Ben