[Rhodes22-list] Kinzua Reservoir - Mike and John Show

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Jul 31 19:18:49 EDT 2008

Mike,

If you look at the pictures you will see that John has a standard mast boat.
If the mast is GBI issue it is 2 to 3 longer than the IMF.  That means the
IMF should safely sail under the bridge.  It is all in the details.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

John Shulick">
Hi Mike,

 Congrats on your new rhodes. I have not been south of the Rt. 59 bridge as
of yet since the reservoir has been filled to near the top for all of this
season so far. I have motored up the the edge of the bridge 3 times but
haven't summoned the courage to risk it so far. The last time I was up there
there were 2 guys fishing near the bridge so I shouted over to them to see
if I had enough clearance from their perspective. They replied that I
cleared it by about a foot or so but that was not enough of a safety factor
for my comfort. There are also some nav. lights and drain pipes that are
BELOW the main I beams so if you do risk it be sure to look up and pick your
spot. It is my understanding that they begin lowering the water level about
now till the late fall but I am not sure of the time schedule and the
weather can change those plans at any time. There is more than enough room
to get under the bridge with the mast stepped but dropped on the support and
the Wolf Run Marina ramps are very nice indeed. If your friends haven't made
reservations the RV campground at Willow Bay is on the north side of the
bridge near the NY state line. It offers both RV and walk in tent sites with
the tent sites on the water. I camped there last year and the willow bay
site also has a very good ramp. It is about a 3 hr sail from wolf run to
willow bay (if the wind co-operates)  and if you see more than 2 dozen boats
along the entire run that is a VERY crowded weekend indeed.

Hope to see you there
John Shulick s/v "Delilah" 71 RC