[Rhodes22-list] re inforcing seats /compression post

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Thu Jul 31 23:11:42 EDT 2008

John,
The purpose of a compression post is to prevent
deformation, especially of the cabin. because the mast becomes as a pile
driver when the boat is pounding through waves.  Using a compression post
for over tightening your stays would deform the hull--not very healthy for
the endurance of either hull or rigging.
Rick
P.S.  I'll take
some pics over the weekend.

> Also, I
suggest a compression post for
> the mast.  Stan has an aluminum
one, but I fashioned my own from a full
> oak round because I
think it looks better.  An additional benefit is that
> it
serves as a handy grip for getting in and out of the
> head.
>
> Rick
>
> If it's not to much trouble
could you please post some pictures of your
> compression post
showing the top and bottom. I was considering using the
> same to
increase the tension on my side and baby stays.

Thank you