[Rhodes22-list] Painted Mast

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Jun 2 11:12:53 EDT 2008

Elle and Art,

It's not about the weight when you can say "Just look for the yellow mast.
It will be the first one across the finish line ..."

BTW, anodized aluminum coatings come in many "colors" including black.
Thickness of coating determines the depth of the color with minimal weight
added (compared to paints.)  The anodizing process permits a "dye" to be
added, although those from metallic salts (bronze or black) are much more
resistant to fading when exposed to sunlight:
http://www.anodizing.org/Reference/reference_guide.html

More info on cleaning and such may be found at their FAQ:
http://www.anodizing.org/FAQ/faq_cont2.html#Cleaning
"Cleaning anodized aluminum is easy with the right technique. Because
anodizing is so hard, you want to use an abrasive cleaning technique with a
gentle soap. Do not use harsh acidic or alkaline cleaners because they may
destroy the finish. Use solvents with care as they may stain the finish.
Regardless of the technique, be sure to try a test area first. One
recommended technique is to use an abrasive cleaning sponge with mild dish
washing liquid. Always try a test small area first to prevent a widespread
problem."

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY