[Rhodes22-list] pic : mary at helm

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Jun 5 15:36:40 EDT 2008

Mike,

>From the sound of your narrative, it appears that you enjoyed your sail
aboard the R22.  When you own your own, it will obviously be equipped
somewhat differently than the rental, although Stan used to sail better than
most, with little more than the bare boat and his senses.  Sometimes there
is much to be learned from relying on less, particularly at sea.

As a R22 owner in my 28th season, I know just what you meant when you said
"It got so bad once while I was at the helm that we 'let go all' and sat
there to think about it. ... The Rhodes went right through it though it was
a little more excitement than we needed."  The great part is that by design
the R22 rarely needs to be tended to in an emergency state, although newbies
always feel that her response to strong gusts may constitute an emergency
situation.  Most of the time, familiarity with the boat's handling and
confidence that she isn't going over, permit the captain to more leisurely
trim the sails and then pick up what wasn't stowed properly (sometimes the
Admiral or other passengers.)  We always felt that it was part of the fun of
sailing!  Save the precision maneuvers for docking and handling in close
quarters.  When out in the open, explore the limits of the Rhodes 22.  Let
me know when you are able to "bury the rail."

BTW, don't forget to tell Mary to unclench her teeth and smile for the
photographer.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY