[Rhodes22-list] Fuel Question --- & Brad said,"

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Jun 16 08:27:17 EDT 2008

Brad said, "The only argument that can be truthfully made for ethanol is as a
substitute for MBTE as an
oxygenate."

And with the know 'Deleterious' effects of MBTE that just may sufficient
reason by itself.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:  Freedom of speech includes the promoting of ideas, which
includes, but is not limited to, the search for truth.

Brad Haslett-2 wrote:

> Insert the word "subsidy" after 51 cent per gallon.
>
> "Subsidy" as it is used here can be defined as "cheap trick used by
> politicians in farm states to attract votes".
>
> Brad
>
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Brad Haslett <flybrad at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Slim,
>>
>> No reason to use Sta-Bil during the season.  At the end of the season,
>> run
>> the engine out of gas (by disconnecting the hose to the tank) and pour
>> the
>> remaining fuel in your car, then start with fresh fuel next season.
>>
>> Ed,
>>
>> Ethanol absorbs water.  Most car and marine engines built in the last
>> five
>> years can handle ethanol up to about 15% without a problem.  Some earlier
>> engines have seals in the fuel system  that deteriorate from ethanol.
>>
>> The ethanol production cycle is only about 1.1 to 1 efficient.  Ethanol
>> fuel produces substantially less power per gallon than gasoline.  It is
>> bad
>> farm policy, economic policy, and environmental policy.  Remove the 51
>> cent
>> per gallon and the ethanol will die a quick and sudden death.  The only
>> argument that can be truthfully made for ethanol is as a substitute for
>> MBTE
>> as an oxygenate.
>>
>> Brad
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 1:10 AM, Steven Alm <stevenalm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I found a gas station here that sells ethanol-free premium--I think it's
>>> 91
>>> octane.  I'm going to use this for the boats.  My question is this:  If
>>> it's
>>> ethanol-free then is there any need to use Sta-Bil or anything else as
>>> an
>>> additive?  MJM had a cocktail of additives he used.  What was that and
>>> why?
>>> (I have a Merc 8.0 two-stroke)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Slim