[Rhodes22-list] Boat size limits coming to Lake Sinclair, GA

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Jun 17 17:59:44 EDT 2008

Last year the Georgia DNR got a bunch of phone calls from folks on
Lake Lanier with houseboats wanting to know if they could move them
down here, since Lake Lanier was getting so low from the drought and
Sinclair stayed full.  They were told unofficially "No", but there
was no force of law behind it.

Commissioners from the 3 surrounding counties have proposed
"preemptive strike" legislation to limit boats on Lake Sinclair to
less that 30 feet, no marine heads, no galleys, no sleeping
quarters.  Sorta makes sense since there is only one sanitary pumpout
on the whole lake.  The idea was to prevent people from setting up
aquatic domiciles with no infrastructure to support them, keep the
lake clean, and not encourage a swarm of over-sized boats cluttering
our narrow channels.

Needless to say sailboat owners became alarmed that we were being
needlessly targeted by such broadly worded legislation.  Most
sailboats in the 20+ range have some kind of facilities aboard that
would disqualify them.  Numerous phone calls and letters to the
commissioners explained that sailboats have the least impact on the
lake of ANY watercraft and punishing sailors for their low-impact
pastime was not in anyone's best interest.  In fact, with gas prices
soaring and pollution always a concern, sailing should be promoted on our lake!

We were assured that sailboats were not going to be impacted and that
language would be added to grandfather existing boats on the lake and
sailboats in general.

In true government fashion, the tentative wording now excludes
powerboats over 30 feet and sailboats over 28
feet.  What??!!  Sailboats are subject to stricter limits than
powerboats!!  That's insane!  Again, we're told not to worry that's
not the intention and nobody is going to start stopping and searching
sailboats.  HA!  Famous last words...  Once it gets passed, some
over-zealous and bored official will decide it's time to reign in
those dang sailors.

Truth be told, I don't think we have any sailboats over 28 feet on
Lake Sinclair.  But that's hardly the point.  Turns out that Lake
Sinclair is the only major Georgia lake without a size limit.  So
it's probably high time to set some reasonable limits before it gets
taken advantage.  The keyword there being "reasonable".

Cheers!

John Lock