[Rhodes22-list] McCain Seeks to End Offshore Drilling Ban(political)

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Wed Jun 18 09:37:36 EDT 2008

Brad,
You run and I'll consider.  I agree with most of your comments here.
Without a doubt, inaction by either political party, whether by Congress or
the Executive Branch has greatly contributed to the current situation.  I
always thought an outright ban made no sense what so ever.  We can drill in
the Gulf off La but not off Fla?  Of course is was Jeb Bush who got brother
George to remove the coasts of Florida from the offshore lease auctions
before the outright ban went into effect.  One of those NIMBY things I
guess.

Once one comment on the nuke thing, while you are correct that shale oil
takes a lot of energy to produce, it takes a lot of energy (oil) to produce
nukes.  I've never seen an energy balance on nuclear energy before.  I'd be
curious to see the numbers.

But what we do need is some leadership to attack the situation.  Supply,
conservation, renewables, solar, wind, and so on.  And we're not likely to
see that from anyone.  Americans are the most energy wasteful citizens of
the planet.  Who's going to tell Americans to buckle down and stop being so
wasteful?  No one after what Carter went through.  You'd think that him
putting on a sweater and turning down the thermostat were treasonous.  So
we've had 30 years since then to make some improvements and to set a
different course.  The political leaders failed.  The market will not.  I
have little sympathy for those bitching about fuel prices when they buy
vehicles that get 10 miles to the gallon and live two hours from their
obs.  - rob