[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Hippo & Turtle..

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 22:55:40 EDT 2008

Elle,

The attachment didn't come through on my e-mail but I did a quick search and
here's a link-

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=94458

The last time I was in Europe was about ten years ago on a trip to Basel,
Switzerland to pick-up three adult hippos and one baby for transport from
European zoos to the animal park at Disney in Orlando (we were supposed to
have lions on board as well but they ran into some US Agriculture issues).
The adults were completely enclosed in steel cages lined with plywood but
the baby had an opening in the front of her cage. During the crossing I
spent some time in the back BS'ing with the vet and the Disney rep.  You
could put your hand in front of the baby and this tongue about a foot wide
and two feet long would come out and lick you.  The vet said "enjoy it while
you can, she'll be mean when she gets older".  We took Cora to Animal
Kingdom last year to look at "my hippo" but they all look the same to me!

Brad