[Rhodes22-list] political : marines in iraq...big al delete

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 08:39:13 EDT 2008

Slim,

No link but read "War and Decision" by Douglas Feith.  The Bush
Administration agonized internally for over a year about the decision to
invade Iraq with dissent and caution coming from some unusual principals
(think Rumsfeld).  The decision to remove the Taliban from Afghanistan was
made quickly after 9/11 and was widely supported by the US public.  Again,
the administration had plenty of internal debate about how to handle
captured enemy combatants.  The consensus was that the Geneva Conventions
didn't apply. The use of GITMO was a compromise that protects our soldiers,
provides our intelligence gathering services an opportunity to gather
information, and is the least inhumane method of handling possible innocent
persons held without cause.

All modern conflicts are fought on two fronts.  You have the field of battle
and then you have the home PR front (and the world media front).  FDR
suppressed bad news during WW2 and the home front was fed a steady diet of
positive newsreels in movie theaters.  Since Walter Cronkite declared
Vietnam "lost" when in reality at the time, General Giap stated in his
memoirs that the Viet Cong were near defeat, the US media has considered
themselves a major force in the conduct and outcome of any given conflict.
This has not gone unnoticed by our enemies and they have become quite adept
at using the Internet and the news media as a weapon in asymmetric warfare.
In that regard, GITMO has been an effective tool for them to use on the
battlefield of public opinion.

There have clearly been a number of huge mistakes made in this current
battle of a longer war against the Islamic fundamentalists.  The first
mistake, dating back to the Carter administration, was even recognizing that
we are at war.  The Bush 43 administration clearly conducted the battle for
Iraq badly during the years 2004-07 and nearly lost on both the battlefield
and in public opinion.  The battlefield situation in Iraq has turned 180
degrees in a short period of time and the media has lost interest but for
the fringes, like GITMO.

We are facing two enemy fronts, "Big Jihad" and "Little Jihad".  Big Jihad
uses terrorism as a weapon to cause the largest amount of horrific damage to
civilians with widespread media coverage.  A small nuclear weapon would be
the perfect hardware for such an attack.  Little Jihad takes place in our
courts, our classrooms, and in our society.  Canada is already well down a
slippery slope with the kangaroo PC trials of Mark Steyn and the McClains
magazine publisher.  London has muslim neighborhoods where non-muslims are
not welcome.  Here in the US, we have state supported muslim schools in your
backyard, Minneapolis, where public monies are being used to support an
Islamic centered curriculum.  Using our hard fought victories for a "fair"
judicial system, a free press, and a tolerant society against us is of the
techniques used in Little Jihad.  I'm reminded of this everytime I'm at work
and have to show my ID to accept the paperwork to go flying just minutes
before departure on a jet I've been sitting on for the last hour.  Little
Jihad has created a whole new expression, "death by a thousand paper cuts".

In the long history of armed conflict, GITMO will be recorded as one of the
most humane detention facilities for enemy combatants.  Compare it to
Andersonville (where 5 Haslett boys dies of starvation and disease) it's a
country club.  That it can be used against us in the Little Jihad PR
battlefront is the problem.  So now we shift the battlefront to the
courtroom.  Sometimes it is hard to tell who's winning but this doesn't look
like a positive shift in momentum for our side to this observer.

Brad