[Rhodes22-list] Anchor rode spaghetti

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Jun 23 11:25:13 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

I hope everyone got out an celebrated Sailstice 2008 this
weekend!  http://www.summersailstice.com/  Not a lot of wind to work
with down south, but we managed to get out and weave a course amongst
the pontoons and jet skis anyway.

I have 150' of double-braid and 6' of chain for both my bow and stern
anchors.  The bow anchor rode is stored in a Rubbermaid container
under the cockpit seat.  The stern anchor rode is stored in the
lazarette.  After about half a dozen outings, these just turn into a
tangled heap and I waste too much time freeing the rodes to set an anchor.

I've tried to take some care coiling the rodes so that they will pay
out cleanly, but so far I haven't found the right system to avoid
getting a tangle that escalates the more you try to free it.  So,
anybody got a good storage system for anchor rodes that doesn't
involve a windlass?

Cheers!

John Lock