[Rhodes22-list] A Greek on Lake Erie?

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Mon Jun 23 21:15:35 EDT 2008

Hi Chris,
I could be bribed with souvlaki or
whatever.
Rick
440-605-0494
> To Rick and Cliff,
> I will be in Ohio (Medina) to take care of my
> sister
> after her surgery. She is a fast healer so there may be a day or
two when
> I'm not emptying bed pans or whatever and and I can
explain "But I just
> had
> to go sailing". So
Perhaps, in Rhodie fashion if either of you guys are
> available
some weekend after the 4th do you mind if I give you a call and

offer myself as ballast? I've sailed a lot of places but not the Great
> Lakes. Uh, don't need to experience water spouts however.
>
> Chris Geankoplis
> Medford Or.
> S/V
Enosis

From:
<rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>; "Al Radefeld"
<wizlin319 at cox.net>;
"Gleason" <legleason at earthlink.net>;

<jakse.s at gmail.com>; "Cyndy Bernheimer"
<cjbernheimer at ameritech.net>
> Sent: Thursday, June 19,
2008 7:56 PM
> Subject: [Rhodes22-list] But I just had to go
sailing

> I took this week off because mid
June is normally ideal for sailing on
> Lake Erie. That was the
case last Sunday, but ever since there has been
> one wet and
windy cold front followed by another.

> This morning,
as she packed me a lunch of a sandwich and a pear, Karen
> kept
worrying about Cleveland shoreline water spout sightings and

warnings by the NWS. But I just had to go sailing.

went to the boat and putz around until the water spout warnings moved
> to Willowick and farther east. Out of the FCYC harbor the wind was
west
> at 10 kn and I was at hull speed as soon as I unfurled.
Beyond East
> Light, it was 15 kn with waves at 1 ft. I furled
both the main and
> genny down to about 50% as the wind kept
shifting north.

> When I approached White City beach,
I fell more off the wind so I could
> go below and eat my lunch
with the boat flat. I ate the sandwich just
> fine, but the pear
kept rolling off the table. I set the pear on the
> counter,
threaded the port genny sheet through the inner track ring,

dropped the pop top, furled the main and lowered the boom.

> I gibed around, unfurled the main to about 50% again and settled
down
> for a back massage during the ride back. Hull speed all
the way as the
> waves built and moved more abeam. By the time I
got back to East Light,
> the waves were at 4 ft, but except for
a couple white caps that got me
> en passant, I stayed dry.
>
> Completely forgotten during the thrill of the return
trip, I ate the
> pear back at the dock.

Regards,

> Rick