[Rhodes22-list] A Greek on Lake Erie? Do not worry?

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Jun 24 09:01:05 EDT 2008

Chris:

I do not fret.  The Greeks have a method to assuage your worries:  Komboloi

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
http://www.nabble.com/file/p18090480/Ron%2BLipton.gif Ron+Lipton.gif

Slim,
I've only tried cursing them.  It has about the same
effect getting rid of water spouts as it does getting rid of the political
posts on this list.
Rick
> Re water spouts, have you heard
the old legend of how to deal with them?
> When you see a water
spout, take an ordinary stainless steel butter knife
> and wave
it at the water spout as if you're slashing it in half--3 times.

9:03 PM, Chris Geankoplis <napoli68 at charter.net>
> wrote:

>> To Rick and Cliff,
>> I will be in
Ohio (Medina) to take care of my
>> sister

after her surgery. She is a fast healer so there may be a day or two
>> when
>> I'm not emptying bed pans or whatever and
and I can explain "But I just
>> had
>> to go
sailing". So Perhaps, in Rhodie fashion if either of you guys are
>> available some weekend after the 4th do you mind if I give you
a call
>> and
>> offer myself as ballast? I've
sailed a lot of places but not the Great
>> Lakes. Uh, don't
need to experience water spouts however.

Chris Geankoplis

From:
"Rick Lange" <SloopBlueHeron at isp.com>
<rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>; "Al Radefeld"
<wizlin319 at cox.net>;
"Gleason" <legleason at earthlink.net>;

<jakse.s at gmail.com>; "Cyndy Bernheimer"
<cjbernheimer at ameritech.net>
>> Sent: Thursday, June 19,
2008 7:56 PM
>> Subject: [Rhodes22-list] But I just had to go
sailing

>> I took this week off
because mid June is normally ideal for sailing on
>> Lake
Erie. That was the case last Sunday, but ever since there has been
>> one wet and windy cold front followed by another.
>>
>> This morning, as she packed me a lunch of a
sandwich and a pear, Karen
>> kept worrying about Cleveland
shoreline water spout sightings and
>> warnings by the NWS.
But I just had to go sailing.

>> I went to the
boat and putz around until the water spout warnings moved

to Willowick and farther east. Out of the FCYC harbor the wind was west

>> at 10 kn and I was at hull speed as soon as I unfurled.
Beyond East
>> Light, it was 15 kn with waves at 1 ft. I
furled both the main and
>> genny down to about 50% as the
wind kept shifting north.

>> When I approached
White City beach, I fell more off the wind so I could
>> go
below and eat my lunch with the boat flat. I ate the sandwich just
>> fine, but the pear kept rolling off the table. I set the pear
on the
>> counter, threaded the port genny sheet through the
inner track ring,
>> dropped the pop top, furled the main and
lowered the boom.

>> I gibed around, unfurled
the main to about 50% again and settled down
>> for a back
massage during the ride back. Hull speed all the way as the

waves built and moved more abeam. By the time I got back to East Light,

>> the waves were at 4 ft, but except for a couple white caps
that got me
>> en passant, I stayed dry.
>>
>> Completely forgotten during the thrill of the return trip, I
ate the
>> pear back at the dock.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rick